Friday, March 12, 2010

Culinary disaster... or how not to make oven fries

In a moment of great hubris, I decided that I would take over making oven fries this evening...  We had decided to have a rare meal of burgers & fries, but I thought I could make crispier and so better (to my taste) fries than Dave.  HAH.  Let it be known that the internet is full of lies.  In my search for how to make the perfect crispy oven fry I googled away, full of trust.  121 positive reviews for a recipe... what could go wrong?!  (As Dave would say... you need a RECIPE to make FRIES????  ... but I digress)

Full of innocent and happy anticipation, I prepare the fries and put them into the oven.  Beautiful potatoes... delicately laid out on a baking sheet, filling the kitchen with mouth-watering smells... until the moment of truth:  time to flip them.

Lesson:  Never put potatoes on aluminum foil.  Unless you want to demonstrate stronger sticking power than superglue.  

These poor potatoes sacrificed themselves for nothing.  A soggy, sticky and partially burnt mess was all that was left.  And Dave and I (and Samuel) went fry-less.  :-(   Never again will I try to make fries.  And the internet... sniff.  My eyes have been opened.  Lies... all lies... !!

1 comment:

  1. Are you able to hear me laughing all the way in Paris?!?! You must! Hilarious... and now I have to stop my tears from running while laughing so hard.
    Looks like I'll have my meeting of Service Center Managers in Paris 26-28 April... to be confirmed by March 29th. So... you 3 in town? Taking Martin along, 'cause it's during 17Apr-02May. Hugs, Claudia (Drury-Schöller)

    ReplyDelete