Saturday, October 11, 2008

A different perspective....

After further review, I do not hate the French.  Only Parisians.

I have come to realize that it is simply a battle over space.  The times that are challenging here are walking on the sidewalks, shopping in the narrow(compared to the US) aisles of the supermarket, getting on/of the trains.

I have to remember that the behavior is not directed towards me or Samuel.  I have seen young Parisian males rush past old women on the train to beat them to seats.  I have to take the time to remember that this is the first time I have lived in the big city.  When you are visiting as a tourist such behavior is often quite quickly forgotten when overwhelmed with the beauty and newness of the city.  When you are living here the daily battles become exaggerated and can be overwhelming if one lets them.  It is easy to become a prisoner in one's home.  I must get out every day.  That is why it is wonderful to have the park so near because as soon as we turn the corner towards the park the sounds of the avenue Charles de Gaulle fade away.  The pedestrian traffic is greatly reduced and we can leisurely stroll to the park and find a bench on the edge of a lake and enjoy the dogs, birds and couples strolling around the lake.

That is why I always try to remind myself whenever we see a tourist destination that we are living in Paris.  Samuel is almost always in the baby bjorn and I will try to grab his arms and throw them up in the air in celebration and say into his ear "We live in Paris!".

-Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment