Sunday, November 15, 2009

Dave - a popular man with the town merchants!

Saturday afternoon I went to run some errands in town.  This is the first time I have done so in a while - Dave usually does this, almost exclusively so over the last few months where my nausea has meant I haven't wanted to go close to any type of food store.  As I tried to chat up the town merchants (who had all largely forgotten me), I found that if I mentioned Dave then all of a sudden I was ok. 

The butcher wanted to know if Dave was going to watch the all-important France-Ireland football game that night (and then went into a discussion of American football);  the greengrocer spent his time telling me what a nice man my husband was, after understanding that he wasn't going to sell me lots of other things as I was following Dave's shopping list.  He even remembered that Dave came from Denver.  Dave has clearly been able to overcome any communication barrier enough to make himself known as a much-appreciated regular in the town centre - from now on, I will just keep introducing myself as 'Dave's wife'!

No comments:

Post a Comment