Thursday, September 24, 2009

I can cook....

For those of you that we have given the readers digest 30 minute cookbook you must make the Lamb Chops provencale.  I made those on Sunday and I must say that they were delicious.  One of the best meals that I have cooked.  Part of what made the meal for me was that I purchased everything myself.  I was able to order the lamb chops and have them prepared all while communicating(?) in French.  I also was able to order ground turkey(dinde hachee) for the first time.  This is great progress as all the butcher expects me to order is chorizo, ham, chicken or steak.

Yesterday I made a rotiseirie chicken for the first time.  Not as good as Julia's but very, very good, especially for a first effort.  We had boiled new potatoes smothered in butter and rosemary with the chicken.  Followed by ice cream with strawberries and raspberries freshly picked from the farm on Saturday.  Our life is pretty good!

Today I trying to make my first chicken stock using the bones and skin of the bird.  I was very popular today when I was skinning and peeling the chicken as both cats were in the kitchen attempting to crawl or jump onto the counter to get their claws into the bones and meat.  It smells wonderful but time will tell if the stock is good.

Today the woman that works the register at the butcher called Samuel a "petit ange" or little angel.  My response was "pas toujour" which means not always.  The three of us plan to walk to the butcher on Saturday afternoon so that Julia can order our turkey for thanksgiving.  My french is not nearly good enough, maybe next year?  Julia has promised me that no matter where we are in the world we will celebrate American thanksgiving on the 4th Thursday of November.  It may not always be a perfect menu but it is the being together as a family that day that makes it special

Julia left work early yesterday to pick Samuel up at he HG.  She should soon post what she was told and what she saw.  All good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment